In this detailed overview on Candy Crush usage and statistics, let’s take a look at how it became a gaming phenomenon that has reshaped the freemium app landscape. It stands as a trailblazer, being among the earliest freemium apps to amass an astonishing revenue surpassing $1 billion.
Its influence has only grown stronger with time, as it introduced a series of engaging spin-offs including Friends Saga, Jelly Saga, and Soda Saga, each contributing to the multimillion-dollar success story.
With a devoted following of over 250 million fans, Candy Crush has truly earned its place as a timeless favorite in the hearts of gamers worldwide. Therefore, let’s delve into Candy Crush usage and statistics as of 2023.
1. Candy Crush Key Statistics
- In 2021, Candy Crush achieved a remarkable revenue milestone of $1.2 billion, positioning it as the seventh-highest-grossing mobile title.
- The year prior, the game saw exponential growth, generating $857 million in 2020, marking a significant 15% increase from the previous year.
- Candy Crush holds the 6th rank among the all-time highest-grossing mobile games, underlining its enduring popularity.
- Monthly engagement remains robust, with a vast audience of 273 million users enjoying Candy Crush each month. The peak of monthly active users (MAUs) was recorded at an impressive 327 million users in 2015.
- Across diverse platforms, Candy Crush’s widespread appeal is evident, with over 2.7 billion downloads amassed, signifying its monumental global impact.
2. Candy Crush Overview
|Candy Crush launch date||12 April 2012 (iOS 14 November 2012)|
|Headquarters||St. Julian’s, Malta|
3. Candy Crush Revenue
Candy Crush’s revenue has remained relatively stable over the course of two years, edging up from $1.19 billion in 2020 to $1.21 billion in 2021.
Even after a decade since its launch, the original Candy Crush Saga continues to hold its position as the flagship game in the series. Remarkably, it has amassed nearly $404 million in worldwide revenues from January to August 2023.
3.1. Candy Crush Annual Revenue
Here’s a chart of Candy Crush yearly revenue
|2023 (January to August)||$404 million|
Source: Business of Apps
3.2. King Annual Operating Income
Established in 2003, King is a video game development company responsible for creating the widely popular mobile game app, Candy Crush Saga.
Source: Business of Apps
3.3. App Revenue generated by Candy Crush mobile games worldwide
|Candy Crush Saga (2012)||$604.58 million|
|Candy Crush Soda Saga (2014)||$147.79 million|
|Candy Crush Jelly Saga (2016)||$11.93 million|
|Candy Crush Friends Saga (2018)||$10.76 million|
3.4. Candy Crush Financial Milestones
- In 2014, Candy Crush Saga set a groundbreaking record as the first freemium game to surpass $1 billion in revenue.
- Within its debut year, the game garnered $77 million, swiftly escalating to a staggering $1.13 billion within just two years.
- The period between 2016 and 2018 witnessed a slight dip in momentum, peaking at $930 million in annual revenue for 2018. However, the game rebounded emphatically in 2019, raking in $1.11 billion.
- A strong continuation followed, with the game securing $1.19 billion in revenue in 2020, securing its position as the third highest-grossing mobile game that year.
- An astounding report from 2018 revealed that Candy Crush Saga was amassing an astonishing $4.2 million per day.
- Candy Crush Saga occupies the fifth spot among the highest-grossing mobile games of all time, trailing only behind notable titles like PUBG.
3.5. Candy Crush Profit
- Candy Crush Saga earned a profit of $857 million in 2020, as reported by Business of Apps.
- The game modestly began in 2012 with a profit of $7.8 million.
- A remarkable jump occurred in 2014, with earnings soaring to $574 million, marking its “first billion year.”
- The profit dipped to $516 million in 2015.
- However, from 2016 onwards, the earnings displayed a consistent yearly increase.
- The profit surged to $740 million in 2019, just $10 million short of the 2018 figure.
3.6. How much does Candy Crush make a day?
According to Activision Blizzard’s Q2 financial report, Candy Crush Saga generates a daily revenue of $633,000.
3.7. How does Candy Crush make money?
In its early stages, Candy Crush Saga’s revenue model revolved around advertising earnings, yet this approach was swiftly discarded within the first year of operation.
At present, the game derives substantial revenue from in-app purchases, enabling players to elevate their gaming experience. Enhancements are obtained through fixed amounts of gold bars.
4. Candy Crush stock chart
Another important aspect in Candy Crush usage and statistics is its current stock chart. King rose to prominence with the launch of the cross-platform game Candy Crush Saga in 2012, which is recognized as one of the most lucrative examples of the freemium gaming model.
In February 2016, Activision Blizzard acquired King for a sum of US$5.9 billion, and it continues to function as an independent entity within the larger organization.
4.1. The stock value and financial viability of ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (including Candy Crush Saga).
|Share price (28/8/23)||USD 91.77|
|Yield (dividend per share)||1.08% (annualized)|
|Share price variations over 1 year||+16.87%|
5. Candy Crush User Demographics
In 2021, Candy Crush boasted 255 million users. Pinpointing an exact number proves challenging due to King’s practice of disclosing usage data solely for its complete app collection.
5.1. Candy Crush Annual Users
Source: Business of Apps
5.2. Candy Crush Monthly Active Users
Approximately 273 million individuals engage in playing Candy Crush on a monthly basis. The peak for monthly active users was recorded in 2015, reaching a total of 327 million players.
Furthermore, Candy Crush is enjoyed by more than 9 million people for over 3 hours daily.
5.3. Candy Crush Player demographics
- Initial Demographic Focus: The game’s initial focus was on women aged 25 to 45, as highlighted by The Guardian.
- Core Audience: Candy Crush Saga’s primary market centers around women aged 35 and above.
- Age Distribution: Half of the players fall within the 20 to 40-year age range.
- Average Player Age: On average, Candy Crush Saga players are 30 years old.
- Gender Breakdown: Among players, 46% identify as male, while 54% identify as female.
- Gamer Types: 26% of ultimate gamers have engaged with Candy Crush Saga, compared to 23% of popcorn gamers and 20% of time fillers.
5.4. Candy Crush Global Ranking and Performance
Google Play Store Recognition: Securing the #2 position among the Top Grossing Casual Games on the Google Play Store.
- Brazil Standings: In Brazil, the app reigns as the second-highest-grossing casual game, coupled with a noteworthy 24th placement among the top free casual games.
- Mexican Impact: Similarly in Mexico, Candy Crush Saga asserts its prominence, holding the second position among top-grossing casual games and ranking #12 among the Top Free Casual Games.
- Android Dominance: Boasting an impressive engagement, the game attained 21.3 million daily active players on Android in April 2021, propelling it to a commendable second place on the Google Play Store’s leading titles list.
5.5. Candy Crush on iPhone and iPad
Candy Crush Saga seized the pinnacle position as the foremost grossing puzzle game on both iPhone and iPad platforms. In the category of Top Free Games (Puzzle), it proudly claims the #4 and #10 spots on iPhone and iPad, respectively.
- Great Britain: Parallel to its triumph in the United States, the game dominates the Top Grossing category. Yet, in the Top Free Games (Puzzle) category, it secures the #6 position on both iPhone and iPad.
- France: Candy Crush Saga achieves a prime standing as the highest-grossing puzzle game on iPad, while securing the second position on iPhone. In the Free Games (Puzzle) category, it occupies the eleventh spot on iPod and the fifth on iPad.
- Spain: A resounding achievement as the leading Top Grossing Game (Puzzle) on both iPad and iPhone. Notably, in the Top Free Puzzle Games category, it claims the #3 spot on iPod and #5 on iPad.
In April 2021, the game clinched the fourth rank among the most popular games on iPhone, boasting a remarkable engagement of over 3.7 million daily active users.
6. Candy Crush Downloads
Since its inception, Candy Crush has garnered over 3 billion downloads, solidifying its status as one of the most renowned mobile games in history.
6.1. Candy Crush Cumulative Downloads
Source: Business of Apps
7. Candy Crush Levels
Candy Crush boasts an impressive array of more than 10,000 levels. To maintain user engagement, King has been consistently augmenting this count each year, enticing returning players.
7.1. How many levels are there in Candy Crush Saga?
Currently, the HTML5 rendition of the game presents an astonishing 14,105 levels spanning 941 episodes, while the Windows 10 App version offers an extra 90 levels.
7.2. Candy Crush Levels by Year
Source: Business of Apps
8. Candy Crush Rounds Played
In this section of Candy Crush usage and statistics, we’re going to take a look at the number of rounds played globally.
9.1. Who owns Candy Crush?
Riccardo Zacconi, an Italian entrepreneur, management consultant, and video game developer, gained prominence as the CEO of King. In 2003, he established King, a video game development firm renowned for creating the widely popular mobile game app, Candy Crush Saga.
9.2. How many people play Candy Crush?
Candy Crush has solidified its rank as the sixth top-grossing mobile game. Approximately 273 million users play Candy Crush on a monthly basis.
9.3. How much is Candy Crush worth?
In 2021, Candy Crush recorded a revenue of $1.21 billion.
9.4. How many levels are in Candy Crush?
A total of 13,745 levels are accessible across the Android, iOS, Amazon devices, and Facebook editions of the game. Notably, the Windows 10 version has included an additional 90 levels for a significant period.
9.5. Who has finished Candy Crush?
Simon Leung emerged as the individual who successfully completed all levels of the mobile game Candy Crush Saga.
9.6. Who is the number one Candy Crush player?
Adam ‘Tango’ Holland secured the title of the world’s top Candy Crush player. He achieved this feat by emerging victorious in the Candy Crush Saga All-Stars competition, prevailing over a pool of over a million participants during the event that took place from September 36th to October 13.
9.7. How many games has King made?
King has crafted over 200 engaging titles, encompassing games that find global acclaim. Their franchises comprise beloved games such as Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue, and Bubble Witch.
In conclusion, Candy Crush usage and statistics highlight its enduring popularity and financial success.
With a massive user base of 273 million individuals indulging in the game on a monthly basis, it has solidified its position as a beloved entertainment option.
Moreover, the game’s financial prowess is evidenced by its remarkable achievement of nearly $404 million in global revenues within the span of just eight months, from January to August 2023.
These figures not only underscore its widespread appeal but also its capacity to continually engage and captivate a global audience.